As you all know, as part of our items overhaul, where we are redoing the way items are created (backend) to enable really nifty things such as the values on weapons such as the accuracy being randomized between a certain range for each weapon, we are also rewriting the combat formula.
It is now at a point where we're comfortable with discussing the mechanics behind the new system which will be implemented ingame in 1 - 2 weeks.
The old system had two issues:
- Too reliant on the value on gear
- Huge power spikes between gear and level
This would result in situations for example where a maxed character would miss if not using any weapons most of the time when fighting extremely low level mobs.
Our new system places a more balanced approach to combat and it equally draws upon level and your gear and a special component with an extremely complex formula that balances the two before arriving at the exact attack and defence rating that you have.
This means that a player that isn't holding a weapon but has 99 attack would basically still be able to hit through say Lv. 45 mobs, this also means that lower level characters also has a higher chance to hit high levels and theoriticalyl 6 Lv. 45s can beat a Lv. 99 in combat due to reducing the power spike between different armour and weapon tiers.
All in all to make more compelling and equal-fielded combat and enhance the mob killing experience.
At this point we have the base formula done for the benchmarks for attack levels and various tiers of gear the next steps are the following:
- Balancing each weapon type against the benchmark
- Balancing each armour type against the benchmark
- Replace weapons and armours with the new item types that have random rolls
- Rebalance all the combat stats of mobs
- Rebalance all the drops of mobs
- Rebalance the price of all shop items that are mob drops
- Rebalance the price of all shop items that use mob drops as an ingredient
So still around 30-40 man hours of work to go but it all should be done by the end of this month!